The combination of these two wandering tools – the printed caregiver’s guide and the online smartphone ID profile are a must-have when a family member has a dementia diagnosis. The benefit of these two layers of protection is that they prepare you for a wandering event and an immediate response plan in the event that wandering does occur.
A Caregiver’s Guide to Wandering (the publication):
- Learn about wandering
- Prevent wandering
- Help you create a family action plan, NOW!
The ONLY online “Caregiver’s Guide Smartphone ID":
- Create an easily accessible identification profile of your loved one, including a recent photo. So that you can immediately send the profile to the authorities to begin a search and rescue.
These tools can lead to a rapid response in the event of a wandering episode.
The purpose of this form is to provide you with immediately accessible identification profile of the person who is living with dementia. In the event that they go missing, you will have immediate access to their identity profile, including a recent photograph to provide to First Responders.
Step 1: Register Below
• Once you register, you will be redirected to Print “A Caregiver’s Guide to Wandering”
Step 2: Print “A Caregiver’s Guide to Wandering”
• Learn about what to do if your loved one goes missing
• Reduce the likelihood of a wandering episode by learning more about how and why it happens
Step 3: Return to your Smartphone Profile
• Follow the instructions to load the Plan Prepare Share Wanderer’s Icon onto your Home Screen. You will then have immediate access to your account and can provide updates as needed. (This function will only work when your smartphone is able to access the Internet.)
In the event that a person under your care wanders, you should immediately call 9-1-1 and ask for an email address where you can send the Wanderer's ID Profile so that they have the most up-to-date identity information on your loved one.